The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857

Www.geni.com

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory was a footwear manufacturing plant located in Tarrytown, New York.

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Company was established in 1857 by brothers George and David Silver. Their primary office and warehouse was located at 18 Warren Street, New York, New York.

In 1871 the company opened a factory on Washington Street, along side the Andre Brook, where they manufactured high quality footwear. When electric lights were installed in 1887, the factory was producing up to 200000 pairs of shoes per year.

The company employed around 200 workers in 1895 at an average wage of $0.27 per hour, roughly $7 per hour with today’s inflation. The employees voted to unionize for increased wages, but in response, the factory was closed.