A Brief History of Tarrytown, 1880

Published in 1880 to coincide with the centenary of the capture of Major André in September, 1780, this slight volume of just 24 pages, laid out a brief history of the village, focusing on the dramatic events of September 23rd. The volume came with a reproduction map ‘of Tarrytown as it was one hundred years ago’, notable for the spelling of the village as ‘Tarwe-town’, Old Dutch for ‘wheat’.