Once, newspapers flourished in America. Across the country, from major cities to small towns, the written press was the primary source of news, both local and global. Almost every household took a newspaper, many becoming so popular, there were often evening as well as morning editions. In the pre-digital age, newspapers offered everything from sports news, entertainment listings and local business information to social gossip. And New York State was no exception. In Westchester County alone, newspapers of varying sizes, quality and print runs could be found in virtually every town; it is hard to imagine today, but papers such as the Mount Kisco Patent Trader, the White Plains Daily Argus and the Chappaqua Sun were published regularly, and prospered for decades. One of the most subscribed Westchester newspapers was the Tarrytown Daily News. Published everyday except Sundays and Holidays, the Daily News, (no relation to the still existent New York Daily News) was printed from 1912 until folding in 1935. Overseen by G.F. Van Tassel and Wallace Odell, family names which loom large in Tarrytown history, the Daily News grew from six pages, to over a dozen by the time it printed its last page.
With help from the wonderful NYS Historic Newspapers project, we’ll be traveling back in time everyday, to the Tarrytown of a century ago, bringing an excerpt from a newspaper sadly no longer with us.