Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

Today it is the Chase bank on the corner of Broadway and McKeel, but once upon a time this building was an elaborate and beautiful Greenhouse belonging to a very prominent Tarrytown resident, Frank R. Pierson. Pierson was born in 1855 and rose to become a florist and businessman becoming one of the largest importers of bulbs in the United States during the 1880s. With … Continue reading Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

Unearthed Remnants of the Main Café

Recent renovations to the closed down laundromat on the corner of Main and John Streets unearthed a formerly hidden of relic of bygone Tarrytown social life. Workers on the new restaurant planned to occupy the former laundromat which closed several years ago discovered two beautiful signs above the window frames. One, a rusted blue and white enamel sign simply says Café, whilst the other was … Continue reading Unearthed Remnants of the Main Café

Peek-a-boo Apartment Raided, June 17, 1919

100 years ago today, the “Peek-a-Boo” apartments were raided by the plain clothes police chief of Tarrytown and a one “Mame Kaiser” was arrested and banished from Tarrytown for running the disorderly house by Justice Armstrong. Two of her girls were also arrested and released with the warning not to be seen unaccompanied on the streets of Tarrytown again after dark unless with a family … Continue reading Peek-a-boo Apartment Raided, June 17, 1919

Beekmantown, 1822

Ownership of the Upper Mills, (and land known today as Philipsburg Manor) once belonged to British sympathizer Frederick Philipse the third, who fled America after the Revolution. The families vast holdings were confiscated and eventually sold off piece by piece. The Mills were purchased by Gerard G. Beekman Jr. a prominent New York businessman. The new Beekman estate expanded 900 acres and included present day … Continue reading Beekmantown, 1822