Published in 1880 to coincide with the centenary of the capture of Major André in September, 1780, this slight volume of just 24 pages, laid out a brief history of the village, focusing on the dramatic events of September 23rd. The volume came with a reproduction map ‘of Tarrytown as it was one hundred years ago’, notable for the spelling of the village as ‘Tarwe-town’, … Continue reading A Brief History of Tarrytown, 1880
This antique magic lantern slide dates to 1915 and shows Civil War veterans marching through Tarrytown. Half a century after the end of the war, those marching would have been in their 70s or thereabouts. Magic lanterns were wildly popular in the 18th century both in the home and for educational purposes. Continue reading Civil War Veterans Magic Lantern Slide
Washington Irving deliberately kept the exact home of Rip Van Winkle a secret: his classic 1818 short story was just set somewhere in the Catskill Mountains of New York. But the widespread popularity of his tale saw many villages and towns in the area began to name check the long sleeping, hen pecked husband. Rip Van Winkle day tours, garages, diners and hiking trails soon … Continue reading Rip’s Retreat Roadside Attraction, c.1950s
John E. Joyce operated his auto repair and towing business out of the lower level of the Van Tassel Garage, on Beekman Avenue & Teresa Street. The Van Tassel Garage, (courtesy Westchester County Historical Society). The 40s style pin up blotters were made by Brown & Bigelow, St. Paul’s, Minnesota. The printers & publishers started in 1896, and by World War Two, specialized in calendars, … Continue reading Van Tassel Garage Promotional Blotters, 1940s.
Late 19th c., the Sleepy Hollow Bus line was a horse drawn public transport that ran along the old Post Road. Continue reading Sleepy Hollow Bus Line Stagecoach
On July 16, 1899 Amzi Barber and John Brisben Walker purchased 225 acres at the foot of Beekman Avenue and commissioned leading architect Stanford White to build a 700 window brick and steel factory. The factory was known as The Mobile Company of America. By March 1900 the company was in full operation and by the summer the Walker Steamer was on the streets of … Continue reading The Mobile Company of America,1900
The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory was a footwear manufacturing plant located in Tarrytown, New York. The G. & D. Silver Shoe Company was established in 1857 by brothers George and David Silver. Their primary office and warehouse was located at 18 Warren Street, New York, New York. In 1871 the company opened a factory on Washington Street, along side the Andre Brook, where they manufactured high quality footwear. When … Continue reading The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857