Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

Today it is the Chase bank on the corner of Broadway and McKeel, but once upon a time this building was an elaborate and beautiful Greenhouse belonging to a very prominent Tarrytown resident, Frank R. Pierson. Pierson was born in 1855 and rose to become a florist and businessman becoming one of the largest importers of bulbs in the United States during the 1880s. With … Continue reading Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory was a footwear manufacturing plant located in Tarrytown, New York. The G. & D. Silver Shoe Company was established in 1857 by brothers George and David Silver. Their primary office and warehouse was located at 18 Warren Street, New York, New York. In 1871 the company opened a factory on Washington Street, along side the Andre Brook, where they manufactured high quality footwear. When … Continue reading The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857

The Katrina Van Tassel home

In 1896, the Village of Tarrytown tore down the old stone house belonging to the Elizabeth Van Tassel family that had inspired a scene in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Elizabeth was inspiration for Katrina Van Tassel in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. A school went up in its place, overlooking the Village. First called the Washington Irving School until 1926 when a larger school … Continue reading The Katrina Van Tassel home

Farrington’s Drug Store, 1893

Farrington’s Drug Store was a pharmacy located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, founded and operated by Evander Farrington. Evander Farrington constructed the pharmacy at 60 Beekman Avenue, on the corner of Washington Street and Beekman Avenue in 1893  after previously being located elsewhere on Beekman Avenue for five years. He was assisted by his son, Frederick Farrington, who eventually took over the business. The pharmacy was a popular gathering … Continue reading Farrington’s Drug Store, 1893